The Monitor Audio Silver Series subwoofer delivers seismic bass right down to 22 Hz using a powerful, long throw 12-inch driver. The Silver W-12’s over-specified driver assembly employs a hugely powerful magnet system and massive voice coil to deliver immense power from the compact sealed cabinet. A heavy-duty diecast basket not only holds the massive system rigidly together, but also assists thermal sinking to keep the driver cool.
For the Silver W-12 subwoofer Monitor Audio specified a 500-watt Class-D amplifier and power-supply module from highly-regarded amplifier specialist Hypex; this provides incredible headroom and utilises advanced switch-mode power conversion techniques. A powerful DSP has been employed to deliver the best performance and filter characteristics, while running the unique APC (Automatic Position Correction) system. The APC is a completely in-house development, designed to automatically correct for room modes. It uses a microphone and test tones to calculate detrimental room modes and correct frequency response, optimising it for the room and position. This is a simple and quick automated process that is a complete revelation to the installer and ensures the user can enjoy the subwoofer quality without positioning restrictions.
At the heart of the Silver W-12 lies a sophisticated 32-bit micro-controller, monitoring performance thousands of times per second, ensuring the system can deliver the best possible bass. It will never become over-driven or distorted, even at maximum power.
- Ultra long-throw 12-inch driver featuring ‘dished’ C-CAM cone
- Triple suspension for ultimate linearity ensuring control at high power and excursions
- Oversized black anodised 3-inch voice coil which provides high power-handling and low distortion
- Powerful 500 W RMS Class-D amplifier with switching power supply provides instantaneous delivery of high current when required
- DSP processing with all control features and crossover performed digitally
- Automatic Position Correction plus automatic room setup feature using microphone for simple system optimisation
- USB for firmware updates
- Three preset EQ mode settings (Music, Movie, Impact)
- 12 V trigger provides switching control from AV amp or processor
- Solid 25 mm-thick (1-inch) MDF cabinet construction
- Heavy radial cabinet bracing
- Top-mounted control panel and mic. input for easy access to main features
- Selected premium-quality wood veneers in high-gloss lacquer and Satin White finishes
Low Frequency Response
20 Hz (Typical IEC room)
Upper Frequency Limit
40 – 120 Hz variable
Low Pass Filter Alignment
Active 4th order 24 db/octave
Amplifier Power Output
500 W continuous
Class-D amplifier with switched-mode power supply (SMPSU)
Bass EQ Profiles
0 & 180 degrees
Line Level >2 mV
Input Level Requirements
Standby after 20 minutes if no signal sensed
1 x 12” C-CAM subwoofer driver featuring triple suspension and 3” long throw voice coil
12 V Trigger Input
5 – 12 V via 3.5 mm mono mini-jack socket
Cabinet Dimensions (excluding grille and amp)
340 x 340 x 380 mm
(13 3/8" x 13 3/8" x 14 15/16”)
Dimensions (including grille, amp and feet)
370 x 340 x 410 mm
(14 9/16" x 13 3/8" x 16 1/8”)
Mains Input Voltage
110 – 120 Vac /
220 – 240 Vac 50/60 Hz (Electronically Auto selected)
400 W / 0.5 W in Standby (ErP approved)
Add a review
What Hi-Fi? gives the new Silver 200 speakers a 5 star review...
CE Pro takes a closer look at a recent smart home install by 'Home Concepts' from Calgary, Alberta...
What Hi-Fi? includes Monitor Audio's Bronze 2 in their top 8 Best Budget Hi-Fi Speaker roundup...